Patron Code of Conduct
The code of conduct defines behaviour appropriate to the protection of library materials and property within the East Gwillimbury Public Library, and is enforced for the comfort and protection of all persons who use the facilities and services.
Everyone is welcome at the library. We ask your cooperation in maintaining a safe, positive environment, conducive to study and the enjoyable and productive use of the facility, where we treat each other with respect and courtesy.
The following rules are in place to prevent disruptions, ensure the safety of the public and staff and ensure the security of Library property. All Library users and employees should be free of any threat of harm, invasion of property, or disrespect. Staff make every effort to apply these rules in a fair, dignified and positive manner, for the benefit of all.
Violation of these rules could result in expulsion from the Library, cost-recovery charges and/or prosecution under the Trespass to Property Act or the Criminal Code.
- Behaviour which is disruptive, impeding, abusive, insulting, bullying, harassing or threatening to Library users and staff is prohibited. This rule applies to behaviour both in person and over the telephone. Anyone who is seen as a threat to the safety or enjoyment of the Library facilities will be asked to leave.
- Any person committing acts of vandalism, wilful damage and/or theft of Library property, including library materials and equipment, may be subject to prosecution.
- All children should be accompanied by someone who is responsible for their safety and supervision. Children under the age of 11 must be accompanied while in the Library. Library staff are obligated by law to call the Police or Children’s Aid Society if a child is unattended or in need of protection.
- Patrons leaving the Library may be required to make available for inspection the contents of all bags and carrying cases for the examination of library materials in their possession.
- Animals are not permitted in the library except in authorized programs or if they are a Registered Service animal at work.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the Library.
- Shirts, shoes, and other appropriate attire must be worn at all times. Use of sports equipment is not permitted, including rollerblades and skateboards.
- Entry into staff areas including desks and equipment in public areas, without permission, is not permitted.
- Posting notices, distributing circulars or petitions, soliciting, or engaging in any commercial activity is not permitted.
- Patrons must comply with appropriate use of the Internet and its resources as outlined in the Public Internet Use Policy.
- Photographing, filming, or video-recording within the Library requires approval in advance.
Persons will not be allowed to remain on Library premises, or return that calendar day, when in the opinion of Library staff, they:
- · Are in a condition which is a threat to public health and safety;
- · exhibit noisy or disruptive behaviour that disturbs Library patrons or the daily operation of Library services;
- ·exhibit threatening behaviour or use foul or threatening language;
- ·use materials or the Library facilities in a manner that results in damage or other harm;
- ·canvas, sell, promote, or distribute unsolicited materials on Library property contrary to Board policy.
Repeated violation of the East Gwillimbury Public Library Code of Conduct will be grounds for exclusion from Library property for an extended period of time.
Any individual barred from the premises may appeal to the Library Board.
Persons who steal, vandalize, or commit offences under the Criminal Code will be prosecuted and excluded from use of Library facilities.
The library is committed to meeting the needs of patrons with disabilities and will provide, upon request, alternate formats and communication supports, in compliance with the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation, Ontario Regulation 191/11 and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA).